One last thing about files! In module 2b, you uploaded a test file in your post. This file is still in the media library and is making the site a little bit heavier. Let’s take the time to delete it before going further.
We will never insist enough on the importance of rigorous file management. That involves proper naming and compression (addressed in module 2b) but also deleting files that are not used or that were accidentally uploaded more than once.
To delete a file:
- Login to the backend.
- In the WordPress toolbar, on the left hand side, click on Media.
- In the media library, locate your file. If you uploaded it recently, it should be at the top. Otherwise, you might have to search for it by typing its title in the search box.
- Click on the file to select it.
- On the right of the file, you can see all the related information such as how you named it and how it weights. At the bottom right of this section, find the red mention Delete permanently.
- Click on Delete permanently.
- A confirmation message will appear. Confirm that you want to delete the file.
Once you have deleted your test file from the media library, complete this module by selecting if you want to continue now or resume later.