225 hours per year – 9 periods per week
This class aims at helping students develop specific competencies associated with one or more semiskilled trades. This program is aimed at helping students construct their identity as a worker, adopts the required behaviors and attitudes in the workplace and develop a variety of work-related skills.
For example, here are some skills that can be developed :
- Execution skills: Uses proper tools and proper working methods, follows appropriate steps (cooking, carving, beading, etc.)
- Planning and organizational skills: time management, respecting deadlines, making list of tasks and materials needed, etc.
- Budgeting skills: savings, production cost, salary, fixing a price for a product, etc.
- Communication skills: promotion, advertisement, social media and others (radio, interviews, posters)
- Informatics skills: typing, internet research, protection of private life and private information, use of the office suite, etc.
- Learning about appropriate attitudes and behaviors in the workplace
- Respecting safety and hygiene rules
* Remember that you can combine different teachings and subjects. For example, cooking traditional meals can target both Work Skills and Culture learning targets.
You can contact your education consultant if you have more question.
Competency 1: Develops specific competencies associated with one or more semiskilled trades
- Recognizes work methods
- Performs required tasks
- Reflects on his/her methods
Competency 2: Adopts attitudes and behaviours required in the workplace
- Recognizes expected attitudes and behaviours
- Adapts to the workplace
- Reflects on his/her attitudes and behaviours in the workplace
At the end of the program, students will
- have developed specific competencies associated with one or more semiskilled trades,
- be able to identify and adopt the appropriate attitudes and behaviours in different work situations.
Competency 1: The student develops specific competencies associated with one or more semiskilled trades by
- preparing adequately for the task to accomplish,
- using effective strategies,
- reflecting on his/her work methode and experience
Competency 2 : The student adopts attitudes and behaviours required in the workplace by
- is accurate choice of attitudes and behaviors,
- showing a degree of adaptability to the workplace,
- being able to reflect on his work experience .
The Work Skills program is based on developing competencies related to semi skilled trades.
The Ministry’s program content is presented in the document below. It provides a list of strategies for the student to use to meet the learning targets as well as a list of appropriate behaviors and attitudes.