The purpose of Module 3 – Social Enterprise Design is to take the social enterprise ideas generated in Module 1 and 2, and begin to test them in the market. Students will use the Business Model Canvas, create a Minimal Viable Product, and use other validation techniques to test the viability of their ideas.
Students explore the design process and develop many social enterprise ideas that have a social or environmental mission.
In Module 3, Social Enterprise Design, students focus on the design of a chosen social enterprise to reach product-market fit. Students will begin with a review of the business model canvas and create one for their social enterprise idea. A large focus will be put on understanding profit, sustainability, and how finances work. The word “business” and “social enterprise” will be used interchangeable but refer to the same activity. Students then develop a clear path of action to validate and realize their project’s potential, learning how to align a market (business) opportunity with a social or environmental need. Going out in the
community, students will take a hands on approach to validating their business ideas and ensuring there is a gap in the market that their social enterprise can fill. In this Module, students will also learn about the different ways to fund their social enterprise; another step to ensure viability.
Once students have validated and refined the product-to-market fit, they will develop and test a Minimal Viable Product (MVP).
Competencies, Skills, and Concepts
- Creates a business model canvas
- Using community outreach, knowledge of funding, and the BMC; determines if the social enterprise will be viable
- Creates a Minimal Viable Product
- Students will use the Business Model Canvas to determine the potential of a project and improve the design of a project
- Students will create surveys to determine community needs
- Students will make and be a part of an action plan that lists key tasks, duties and timelines
- Students will fundraise for a project through loans or crowdfunding
- Business Model Canvas
- Minimum Viable Product
In the Module Teacher’s Guide, you will find:
- Competencies, Skills and
- Module Overview
- Background Information
- Workshops & Lessons