How do we use social media to promote and educate an audience about a community project?
Students will understand and develop a social media strategy for their community project. First, students will learn about trends, platforms, building a following, best practices and creating a strategy.
- Social Media
Warm Up Exercise (10 Mins)
Customize a community building warm up activity for your group needs. You can consult the following resources for ideas:
● Warm Ups in Design Thinking
● Partners for Youth Empowerment
● Icebreakers & Teambuilders
● Inuit Games
Experiential Activity: Develop a Social Media Strategy (30mins+)
- Use the Social Media Workshop PPT to guide the lesson.
- Split the class into groups of 2-3 to think about and discuss a different type of social media.
- Ask the class to present their social media platform to the class. They will talk about the pros and cons
- and whether it is appropriate for marketing the project.
- As a class vote on one Social Media Platform to engage with. Make a plan and develop a strategy to use
- this platform to reach more people about your project activities and successes – brand awareness. Add one
- more platform in the coming weeks.
Debrief and Reflection (10 mins)
- What? What is social media?
- So What? How can social media help a community project? What ethical considerations are there to using this platform to spread a message?
- Now what? How will you run your social media campaign? What would you do?