How can you visually represent your project?
Branding will touch on the question of identity. How do you want your audience to feel when they interact with your change project? How will your change project express itself? What colours, images, fonts, words best describe your change project? What values do you stand for? The branding section should prompt students to reflect on identity – their personal identity, cultural identity, communal identity, and organizational identities – and what motivates and drives the project on a values level.
- Critical Thinking and Inquiry
- Communicate the value of a product and service, in unique and effective ways, to an audience
- Distinguishes between personal identity, cultural identity, communal identity, and organizational identities
- Understands the different elements of a projects brand expression as related to its identity, values and
- Create a brand identity
Warm Up Exercise (10 Mins)
Customize a community building warm up activity for your group needs. You can consult the following resources for ideas:
● Warm Ups in Design Thinking
● Partners for Youth Empowerment
● Icebreakers & Teambuilders
● Inuit Games
Experiential Activity: Develop a Brand (30mins+)
Students will develop a brand identity for their community project. First, students will learn how to build a
visual identity. This will include learning about brand names, logos, fonts and colours. Examples of local
brand identities from the workbook can be explored as a reference.
Step 1. Use the Branding Presentation (PPT) to guide the lesson.
Step 2. Use the brand identity worksheet to guide the class group work and discussion. You can split the
class into groups of 2-3 to create as many brands as possible.
Step 3. Ask the class to present their brand ideas for the project.
Step 4. Vote. Which brand is most desired? You will use this brand to communicate your project.
Debrief and Reflection (10 mins)
- What? What is a brand?
- So What? What is your brand? What is your identity?
- Now what? Where will you use your brand?